Keep These 5 Choking Hazards Away from Children’s Reach

child looking out window

Choking is one of the leading fatalities among kids, and parents often wonder why that happens. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, it is so prevalent that one child in the US dies every five days due to choking. 

A child will always be a child. One of the first things they learned is to eat. That is why an inevitable part of their first few habits is putting anything they can grab onto their mouth. 

No adult can ever stop them as it is part of their world exploration, but it is the parents’ responsibility to keep their children safe. Parents can keep them safe by keeping all dangerous items away. 

Here are some of the objects that should be kept out of reach of toddlers:

1: Small Objects

Anything small that the child can grab and swallow should be kept away from children’s reach. That includes everyday objects like coins. When your child swallows a coin, it can get stuck in their esophagus. Make sure that you never leave any spare coins lying around the house. The same rule applies to other small objects like marbles or small stones. As much as possible, do not bring any games or house displays that contain these small items inside the house. 

2: Batteries

Batteries are another household essential that can bring a threat to your child’s life. They are commonly used in many things around the house, such as alarm clocks, remote controls, and children’s toys, making some parents not see them as hazardous items. However, these batteries contain corrosive acids that can burn one’s eyes and skin. They also carry toxic metals like nickel and cadmium. While all batteries have these characteristics, the more dangerous ones are the small lithium batteries due to their size. 

Ensure that the battery storage is locked up, and those items that use batteries should be double sealed with tape. Once the battery gets depleted, make sure that you dispose of them properly.

3: Balloons

Balloons may seem fun and harmless until they get swallowed by kids. When they do, these balloons can mold onto their throat and lungs and can get stuck in their trachea, blocking their airway. Balloons make birthday parties look nice and fun, but if you want your children to avoid choking, you might want to skip the balloons until they are older or try different decorations instead. 

4: Sticky or Hard Foods 

Foods are not supposed to be dangerous, but they can become a choking hazard if they become too sticky or hard for the kids to swallow. Here are some of the foods to watch out for:

  • Peanut butter
  • Raisins
  • Cranberries
  • Gum
  • Jelly beans
  • Caramels
  • Marshmallows
  • Fruit leathers
  • Dried fruits
  • Nuts
  • Popcorns
  • Hard candies
  • Hotdogs

5: Art Supplies

Art supplies look attractive to a kid’s eyes because of their multiple colors. From their perspective, crayons, markers, and paints look like candies, making them want to taste them. Other art supplies that can be attractive to the children include small colorful items like beads and buttons. Keep an eye on them when they use these art supplies, and make sure that you only buy nontoxic materials for them. 

Conclusion

Kids can be fast and aggressive when they want to do something. Make sure that you are extra alert when watching them. It is safer if you do not let any of these items within their reach and supervise their every action. Once they are old enough to understand, you can explain why some things are not meant to be eaten or touched. 

Should there be an accident and your child chokes on a hazardous object, bring them to Your Kids Urgent Care. We are the trusted place for immediate pediatric care. We offer many services, including flu shots in Orlando, FL, and provide high-quality urgent care for children, infants, and adolescents up to age 21. We also have locations in Tampa, St. Petersburg, Largo, and Orlando, FL and Vestavia Hills, AL.

Leave a Comment

en English
X
Scroll to Top