5 Everyday Items in the House That Could Poison Your Kids

batteries

Kids are naturally curious. Whether as infants or toddlers, they love to explore to learn about how the world works. As parents, you must join them in this journey. If faced with hazardous obstacles, they might find themselves in danger. 

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report that more than 300 children in the US between the ages of 0 to 19 end up in the emergency daily due to poisoning. An average of two children die every day.

The last thing you want is for your child to experience this. However, the home itself is a source of dangerous things that could harm them. Protect your child by ensuring that you properly hide the things that could pose a threat to them, such as the following: 

1: Alcohol-Based Products

Alcohol-based products are essential in everyday living. Every day, you use ethyl alcohol, hand sanitizer, mouthwash, beauty products, and the like. However, these products should be out of reach of children. If your kid consumes these products, it could result in vomiting, difficulty breathing, and unconsciousness. When sprayed, the alcohol could damage their eyes. 

Place your alcohol-based products somewhere safe and hard for children to reach, and inform them why they should not play with these items. 

2: Cleaning Items 

Cleaning products are also crucial in disinfecting the house and keeping it spotless. However, these products could cause severe injuries or death to kids if swallowed. These products are brightly colored, sparkly, and even good-smelling, triggering the children’s curiosity more. 

Apart from keeping them out of reach of the children, it is ideal that you also switch to safer cleaning alternatives. Many companies have created friendlier products to protect both the environment and the people using these products. Opting for safer alternatives can prevent poisoning. 

3: Medications

Another item that you should keep in closed storage is medications. Kids might confuse these colorful pills with candies, and you would not want them to overdose. Ideally, your medicine cabinet should have a lock. Doing a medicine audit every four months to remove already expired medications can also ensure that no one accidentally drinks an already lapsed prescription.

4: Batteries

Batteries are small yet highly poisonous when ingested, especially button batteries that are tiny, sparkly, and easily swallowed by children. When consumed, these batteries could burn from inside, causing immediate death to children. They could also lead to a chemical leak that poisons other internal body parts like the stomach and intestines. 

What is worse is how they are used in many items around the house―in watches, calculators, remote controls, toys, and many more. Try to avoid keeping these batteries out in plain sight of children. 

5: Plants

Plants are great to have at home. However, some of them can also be toxic when ingested. Do your research first about the plants that you can safely have in your home. Besides kids, some of these plants can also be harmful to your pets. You can refer to this list of plants that are safe for children and pets

Conclusion

Accidents happen, and it is a normal part of a child’s life. As much as possible, do not let them reach or find items that could bring great danger, injuries, and illness. Educating children is a great way to prevent these risks from taking place. When they understand the consequences of their actions and satisfy their curiosity, there is a higher chance that they would avoid touching these things again. 

Should you need immediate care for your child and your primary care pediatrician is not available, we are here to help. At Your Kid’s Urgent Care, we are committed to providing your child with the highest quality of urgent pediatric care. Whether you need onsite flu shots in Vestavia, AL, or telemedicine for diagnosis, we can gladly assist. For inquiries, contact us today at (877) 466-7946.

Leave a Comment

en English
X
Scroll to Top